Waste at home
- Nearly half (47%) of all waste from households is organic waste. Join the 35% of Australians composting their garden waste, and the 23% composting their food scraps, to turn them into fertiliser for your garden instead of sending them to landfill.
- Visit www.recyclingnearyou.com.au – a great site that tells you how and where to recycle just about anything.
- Contact your local council to find out what recycling services they offer for larger electronic and electrical products.
- Buy second-hand.
- Opt for products with minimal packaging where possible.
- Choose concentrated products or refillable containers.
- When you’re buying fruit and vegetables, pop them straight into your trolley rather than into plastic bags.
- Give unwanted clothes, household items, furniture and appliances to family and friends, or donate them to charities.
- Use washed takeaway containers to store frozen food.